Where do you get your satisfaction? Maybe it’s a bit of a funny question, but if your life revolves around positive things that give you satisfaction, the happier you will be. Personally, I have surrounded myself by the things that give me lots and lots of satisfaction and only run around singing “I Can’t Get No…Satisfaction” just for fun, not as my anthem.
1) Watching my kids. Observing my children in their day to day lives (not in a stalker way) and seeing how they have grown up and behave in situations gives me a ton of satisfaction. In general, they are just great kids, but I feel satisfied that I have guided them in a good way. When my son tells me he doesn’t want to sell off his used soccer cleats, but instead give them to a child who needs them, it gives me a real sense of pride.
2) Social involvement. Whether it is working with the Angel Tree project for needy children, assisting in the Chili Cookoff for the Children’s Home, putting on events such as the Climate Fair or the Christmas Fair which bring entertainment to the town and allow young people to exhibit their talents, or heading up the swim commission to promote water safety to the community, these things give me so much satisfaction. I feel I am making a difference.
3) Making dreams come true. It’s why I enjoy real estate. For me, it’s not the wheel and deal of the transaction, it’s matching up someone with the home of their dreams. When I take someone to a property and they turn and say, “this is EXACTLY what I want”, it makes me so happy. That is why I do what I do. I got out of my field of study (economics) because of that. I was good at it, but didn’t feel the satisfaction from it.
4) My network of friends and family. When things happen (for good or for bad) and I have all of these helping hands there to assist and fix whatever it is or lend an ear, it’s a great feeling. It’s a satisfaction in knowing that if I can’t figure out, I know who can.
5) Giving advice. When I feel that I can share my experiences to help guide another person and make their life easier, it just feels good. I enjoy it. For that reason, when I give someone my card and say, “Contact me for any questions you have, whether it’s about real estate or not”, I really mean it.
Maybe I require more confirmation and satisfaction than the average person, or maybe not, but that sense of accomplishment keeps me going every day and inspires me to do more. What keeps you going?
Tina Newton is a Realtor and part-owner of Tristan & Newton Real Estate, located in Atenas, Costa Rica. For information on homes in Costa Rica or just to answer your questions about living there, contact her at her email, check out the listings on the homepage or follow on Facebook.